Amanda-Users

Re: Just for completeness...

2007-12-21 13:20:19
Subject: Re: Just for completeness...
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Ryan Steele" <rsteele AT archer-group DOT com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:11:54 -0500
On Dec 20, 2007 10:47 AM, Ryan Steele <rsteele AT archer-group DOT com> wrote:
> I have posted all the information I have on the issue at
> http://forums.zmanda.com/showthread.php?t=948
>
> I want to be absolutely, unequivocally sure before I contact the
> developers list to ask them why amrestore is less efficient than dd.  In
> the meantime, I'll be using dd to do my restores, but it would be nice
> to be able to use the packaged solution.   Thanks.

Hey Ryan.

Us developers pretty much read both amanda-* lists, as well as the
forums.  I think the reason your request has gone unanswered is that
we've already rewritten just about the entire codepath you're looking
at, as part of the Device API.  This is already in subversion, and
will be in the next release.

I would be interested to see your analysis of the new code -- would
you mind either downloading a snapshot
(http://www.zmanda.com/community-builds.php), or taking the 2.5.3 beta
for a test drive (it should be out soon)?

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com