Amanda-Users

Re: file changed as we read it

2007-12-21 10:19:14
Subject: Re: file changed as we read it
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: Charles Curley <charlescurley AT charlescurley DOT com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:12:01 -0500

Charles Curley wrote:
On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 10:06:57AM -0700, Glenn English wrote:
(Debian binary Amanda install, tar, Linux)

One of the things I back up is the DMZ logging server's /var/log
directory. The backup fails fairly pretty regularly because that's a
very busy place, even in the middle of the night. This must be a very
common problem. How can I get around it?

An excludes file. For /var I have one called excludes.var on the
target machine:

# cat /etc/amanda/DailySet1/excludes.var
./ftp/pub/*.updates*
./cache/yum/*
./cache/apt/*
./named/chroot/proc/*
./spool/squid/*
./www/html/jdk.docs/*

Then in the tape server's amanda.conf, set up a dump type like so:

define dumptype comp-root-tar-var {
    comp-root-tar
    comment "Root partitions with compression, special for /var"
    exclude list "/etc/amanda/DailySet1/excludes.var"
}

Then in your disk list, use it:

dragon.localdomain /var comp-root-tar-var

I got the sense that he wanted to back them up.

I get around that problem by using snapshots. But I'm on Solaris 9, where I have fssnap and a wrapper so that when Amanda calls ufsdump it ends up doing a snapshot and backing up the snapshot. A description and a couple of examples of this can be found at http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Backup_client#pre_and_post-_backup_scripts_.28wrappers.29

I haven't had to deal with that sort of thing on linux. If you aren't set up for it, it could require rebuilding your linux machine to use something like xfs. Doing a google search for "file system snapshot linux" could get you into the basics of what is involved.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center