Amanda-Users

Re: Encryption with Amanda

2007-12-18 11:02:19
Subject: Re: Encryption with Amanda
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: Paul Crittenden <paul.crittenden AT simpson DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 10:41:35 -0500

Paul Crittenden wrote:

I have amanda installed and working but now I am trying to set up encryption. I am using v2.5.2p1 on a Sun server running Solaris 9. I have followed the instructions from the URL:

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Set_up_data_encryption

Everything installed fine but when I try to do:

head -c 2925 /dev/random | uuencode -m - | head -n 66 | tail -n 65 | \
gpg --symmetric -a > ~amanda/.gnupg/am_key.gpg

which was taken from the aespipe-README, it fails. Solaris’s head command will not accept the –c, uuencode will not accept –m and the tail command complains it needs a file name.

Has anyone else gotten this to work or have any suggestions?

I don't see that you've gotten any response.

I don't use that feature, but I am on Solaris 9 and occasionally have to adapt linux instructions to my environment.

Two things to do. Look up the man pages for linux online and see what those options do. That helps judge the impact of dropping them. I'm guessing c is character. I'm not sure about -m. I tried the sequence to see what was being done and how it worked. Just doing a head of a bunch of lines out of /dev/random will get you a variable number of characters. uuencode puts it in a standard format from which you are then grabbing 65 lines starting from the 2nd line.

So `head /dev/random | uuencode - | head -66 | tail -65`

got me the chunk of stuff that I think was expected.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center