Amanda-Users

Re: amanda not using smbclient for samba clients?

2007-11-28 02:00:16
Subject: Re: amanda not using smbclient for samba clients?
From: Marc Muehlfeld <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 07:54:58 +0100
Dan Brown schrieb:
# disklist
# Design Resources Mac
coralie //coralie/design_resources_archive/     tar-comp-srvbest-ne
coralie //coralie/design_resources/             tar-comp-srvbest-ne

The first column is the name of the machine who connect to the samba share, not the client. Here's one of my DLEs for example:

nucleus.mr.lfmg.de        //amplicon/backup$      SMB_Low_Client-Fast

Explanation: Nucleus does the connect to my client Amplicon and collect the
data.

The machine must not be the backupserver itself. E. g. if you have a remote subnet, connected with a slow connection, you can configure a remote linux machine to collect and compact your data and then transfer it from there to your backup server to save bandwidth. It's wasting bandwidth of the WAN connection to transfer the whole samba data to your backup server and do the compact there. Surely you can do this in your local subnet too, to keep the load of your backupserver low.

Marc

--
Marc Muehlfeld (Leitung Systemadministration)
Zentrum fuer Humangenetik und Laboratoriumsmedizin Dr. Klein und Dr. Rost