Amanda-Users

Re: Trying to backup to disk, getting "dump to tape failed, will try again"

2007-11-27 11:54:34
Subject: Re: Trying to backup to disk, getting "dump to tape failed, will try again"
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Jennifer Luisi <jenl AT bluefrog DOT com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:48:55 -0500
I don't know why the backup seems to hang.
Nothing say the problem is with the vtape.
Post the dumper.*.debug, taper.*.debug, amdump.1 and log.200711... files
Alos post the amandad.*.debug file from the client.

Jean-Louis

Jennifer Luisi wrote:

Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:
What's the dumper result for the disk?

Jean-Louis

Where can I find the dumper result? Since the backup just seems to hang with the "dump to tape failed" errors, I haven't actually been letting it complete. I've given it up to an hour or so and then killed it.

The email report says:
*** THE DUMPS DID NOT FINISH PROPERLY!

again, this is probably because I killed them. How long should amanda be running before it completes? I've got my disklist down to one host and one very small directory and I'm still not able to get any data written to my tape/disk.

Thanks,

Jen