Amanda-Users

excluding directories for amanda bare metal restores

2007-11-22 05:18:19
Subject: excluding directories for amanda bare metal restores
From: "Gil Vidals" <gvidals AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 02:10:35 -0800
I'm aiming to use Amanda for bare metal restores as described in "Backup & Recovery" by Curtis Preston - p. 145. However, I'm not sure which directories to exclude. In fact, I'm not sure that I should exclude anything at all. Should I exclude these?

/proc
/mnt
/dev
/tmp
/sys

Curtis says to follow these steps for bare-metal restores using Amanda:

1. Replace the disk.

2. Boot with LiveCD (knoppix)

3. Format and partition the disk

4. Use amrestore on the Amanda server to restore everything to a new disk, including the operating system (you might need to restore incrementals as well).

5. Create a boot loader on the new disk.

Gil AT Vidals DOT net