Amanda-Users

Re: Wasted Space, capacity under 50% over multiple tapes

2007-11-21 11:09:43
Subject: Re: Wasted Space, capacity under 50% over multiple tapes
From: Wayne Thorpe <wat_tech AT yahoo DOT com>
To: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>, "Martin.Hepworth" <martinh AT solidstatelogic DOT com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:53:26 -0800 (PST)
You're correct Jean-Louis!!
  I made the mistake of just looking at the  package which advertises
40native/80compressed on the DLTIV media, not remebering that this the max you
get for the DLT8000 drives.  Since I only have a DLT4000, my capacity is 20GB
native/40GB compressed, as you stated.  this makes sense now.  Thanks J-L.

  Question for Jean-Louis or anyone else, what is your opinion on using
software and hardware compression with AMANDA?

Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com> wrote:
  Are you sure about the size of your tape?
DLT4000 is 20GB Native, 40GB compressed.
Since you use software compression, you can only write 20GB to each tape.

Jean-Louis