Amanda-Users

RE: Wasted Space, capacity under 50% over multiple tapes

2007-11-21 10:56:23
Subject: RE: Wasted Space, capacity under 50% over multiple tapes
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Wayne Thorpe <wat_tech AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 16:49:40 +0100 (CET)
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, Wayne Thorpe wrote:
> Tried setting 'runtape 1' already, tape did not get past 42.7%
>
>   This is what happed ....
>   ______________
>   These dumps were to tape tapebac05.
> *** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [No more writable valid tape found].

I.e. unexpected end of tape.

> Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
> Run amflush to flush them to tape.
> The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.
> The next new tape already labelled is: tapebac06.
>   USAGE BY TAPE:
>   Label           Time      Size      %    Nb    Nc
>   tapebac05       3:23 17479168K   42.7     7     0

Let me guess:
  - You told Amanda you can fit 40 GB on a tape, while in reality, only
    20 GB will fit?
  - You have hardware compression enabled, so the precompressed data is
    expanded again by the hardware compressor, and you can no longer fit 20
    GB of (precompressed) data on the tape.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds