Amanda-Users

Re: restarting amanda after updating amanda.conf

2007-11-19 21:32:17
Subject: Re: restarting amanda after updating amanda.conf
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: gil AT vidals DOT net
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 21:25:02 -0500

Gil Vidals wrote:
I'm new to Amanda and after several days of reading the docs. I'm still unclear as to when is it necessary to restart Amanda. In particular, is it necessary for me to restart amanda after making changes to the amanda.conf file on the tapehost? If so, what is the proper way to restart amanda?

Amanda is not a daemon.

Programs that constitute Amanda only run when you run them, or when you schedule them off cron.

So there is no restarting unless you happen to have a job running that has gone awry. Then you may have to kill something and/or run amcleanup (I've never had to do that). Typically, if I'm not sure what is going on, and Amanda is running, I'll run amstatus, and it gives me plenty of information that generally puts me at ease.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center