Amanda-Users

Re: RE having experience with Dell LT2000 or LT4000 tape

2007-11-08 10:53:27
Subject: Re: RE having experience with Dell LT2000 or LT4000 tape
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 10:48:08 -0500
On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 04:26:38PM +0100, Cyrille Bollu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> your e-mail woke me up :-)
>
> I've tested Amanda a little today and it already works quite good.

> My changerfile basically contains:
>
> firstslot=1                 #### First storage slot (element) -- required
> lastslot=5                  #### Last storage slot (element) -- required
> (ndlr: not full yet. I'm still in testing)
> cleanslot=23                #### Slot with cleaner tape -- default is "-1"
> #                           #### Set negative to indicate no cleaner
> available
> driveslot=0                 #### Drive slot number.  Defaults to 0
>
> Basically the tests explained in the chg-zd-mtx script ran successfully
> except that for some reason Amanda did not seem to have taken the lastslot
> variable into account; When I typed "./chg-zd-mtx -slot next" at slot 5 it
> loaded the cleaning cartidge instead of going back to slot 1 (And it tried
> to rewind it which it seems it doesn't like). I still have to figure that
> out. Then try "amtape". Then I will be able to start to backup the "real
> things" (600GB-700GB a day).

Cleaning tapes, I think, are designed to be one pass only.  Each cleaning
pass uses a portion of the tape and when the end is reached the tape is
discarded.

In my limited experience I've found it best to consider cleaning a non-
Amanda operation.  I.e. I tell chg-zd-mtx there is no cleaning tape AND
I leave the cleaning tape out of the changer.  When a cleaning operation
is necessary I use mt, mtx, and the cleaning tape to manually do the job.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)