Amanda-Users

Re: RE having experience with Dell LT2000 or LT4000 tape

2007-11-08 10:35:57
Subject: Re: RE having experience with Dell LT2000 or LT4000 tape
From: Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
To: Feyza Eryol <feyza AT ulakbim.gov DOT tr>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 16:26:38 +0100

Hi,

your e-mail woke me up :-)

I've tested Amanda a little today and it already works quite good.

I'm using "chg-zd-mtx" as changer script. And have basically added/modified the following lines to my original amanda.conf file

tpchanger "chg-zd-mtx"

changerfile "./chg-zd-mtx.conf"

changerdev "/dev/sg8"
tapedev "/dev/nst1"     # the no-rewind tape device to be used

If you plan to have 2 amanda config like me don't forget to modify the infofile, logdir, et indexdir variables or you might trash your original set up.

My changerfile basically contains:

firstslot=1                 #### First storage slot (element) -- required
lastslot=5                  #### Last storage slot (element) -- required (ndlr: not full yet. I'm still in testing)
cleanslot=23                #### Slot with cleaner tape -- default is "-1"
#                           #### Set negative to indicate no cleaner available
driveslot=0                 #### Drive slot number.  Defaults to 0

Basically the tests explained in the chg-zd-mtx script ran successfully except that for some reason Amanda did not seem to have taken the lastslot variable into account; When I typed "./chg-zd-mtx -slot next" at slot 5 it loaded the cleaning cartidge instead of going back to slot 1 (And it tried to rewind it which it seems it doesn't like). I still have to figure that out. Then try "amtape". Then I will be able to start to backup the "real things" (600GB-700GB a day).

NB1: I'm running RHEL-4.3 and Amanda "amanda-2.4.4p3-1" (has compiled by Red hat)

NB2: I've cc'ed this mail to the amanda-user mailing list since others seemed to be interested by this tape changer

Best regards,

Cyrille

Feyza Eryol <feyza AT ulakbim.gov DOT tr>

08/11/2007 11:54

Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
cc
Objet
Re: RE having experience with  Dell LT2000 or LT4000 tape

Hi,

We will enjoy to share our experience too.. But we have just bought the
library, so we are in the beginning of installation :( If we are lucky
about amanda I will write back to you..

Thanks a lot..

--feyza