Amanda-Users

Re: Request information on multi-volume backup

2007-11-06 04:28:22
Subject: Re: Request information on multi-volume backup
From: Marc Muehlfeld <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 10:21:59 +0100
Hi,

silpa kala schrieb:
I have a doubt on multi-volume backup. Generally
Amanda performs backup capacity same as the media can
hold. am I correct?

You have to configure a tapetype. With amtapetype you can get the values for your tapedrive, if there is not allready a tapetype for you.
See: http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Tapetype_definitions

Amanda supports multi-volume tape backup means how
many tapes it will support for one single operation. Suppose I am having 4 tapes and each one holds 40GB
means total 160GB.Now I want to take the backup for
amanda is 150GB; Whether is it supports?
> If it supports how to configuration for this?

Yes. Set up a tape_splitsize that fits your need and amanda 'll put your backup accross the 4 tapes. Also you have to runtapes, to tell amanda how many tapes to use maximum on one run.

man amanda.conf
-> runtapes

What tape_splitsize exactly do?

man amanda.conf
-> tape_splitsize

Just have a look at the manpage. It explains the parameters very good. Also the documentation (http://www.amanda.org/docs/) and the wiki (http://wiki.zmanda.com) provides many usefull information about and how to setup amanda.

Regards
Marc

--
Marc Muehlfeld (Leitung Systemadministration)
Zentrum fuer Humangenetik und Laboratoriumsmedizin Dr. Klein und Dr. Rost