Amanda-Users

"nicing down" the client

2007-11-01 13:41:15
Subject: "nicing down" the client
From: Don Murray <samba AT geeksrus DOT ca>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 10:33:16 -0700

I have a user who is complaining that when amanda backups are running, the server he is access is 100% busy with gzipping the amanda backup that it is sending to the backup server and the server is too slow for him to do his stuff on.

I've tried to look up how to configure the client but haven't found much information and there is no amanda.conf file installed by default with the RPMs I've been using.
I'm using amanda-2.4.4p3-1.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to lower the priority of the amanda client? I'm also not sure if this is going to do it for him because I'm guessing he is being disk-limited not cpu-limited. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don