Amanda-Users

Multi-tape span failure

2007-10-31 00:46:40
Subject: Multi-tape span failure
From: Tom Hansen <tomh AT uwm DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 23:31:53 -0500

BACKGROUND INFO: I have Amanda 2.5.2p1 running on Ubuntu linux 6.10, configured to backup several large (300Gb +) filesystems spanning several tapes. I have a robot changer, LTO1 tapes (100Gb capacity) and I used:

   tape_splitsize 3Gb
   fallback_splitsize 256m

(An unrelated issue: I couldn't seem to be able to get split_diskbuffer to have any effect so the chunks were all 256mb. No big deal, it was not a bottleneck.)

After much time configuring, everything seems to be working properly, and on my first big run, it successfully spanned six tapes and was nearly finished. Then it grabbed tape 7, which I had inadvertently left in "write protect" mode. Unfortunately, at this point Amanda completely aborted the entire 800+ Gb backup and left nothing in the index, thus completely wasting 7+ hours of backup time.

This behavior is unexpected and bad. What if a tape simply goes bad during a run? If I'm running 7 or 8 tapes each backup, I don't want to lose the whole thing if there's an error on the last tape!

I _thought_ that Amanda was programmed to simply go to the next tape when a tape error occurs. In this case, if Amanda _had_ gone to the next tape, it could have completed the job, since tape 8 was a good tape.

MY QUESTION: Is there any way to configure Amanda such that such a tape error would simply go to the next tape, instead of the worst possible action, which is to abort the whole job?

Short of that, is there any way Amanda could start up from where it left off?

Thanks.

--
Tom Hansen
Senior Information Processing Consultant