Amanda-Users

Re: dumps too big

2007-10-23 03:19:46
Subject: Re: dumps too big
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "Krahn, Anderson" <AKrahn AT gs1us DOT org>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 09:08:26 +0200
On 2007-10-22 22:25, Krahn, Anderson wrote:
Interesting these are lto 3 tapes that are 400/800gig compressed. I find
it hard to believe that it cannot store them on a tape.
Here is my definition of tapetype.

define tapetype Ultrium3-SCSI {
    comment "LTO Ultrium 3 400/800, compression on"
    length 401408 mbytes
    filemark 0 kbytes
    speed 74343 kps
}

Also,
For example,
The status says ...
prdapp04-bkup.1sync.org:/                    0  planner: [dumps too big,
4206630 KB, but cannot incremental dump
which is 4.1g and that should easily fit on the tape..

How many other DLE's are already planned for inclusing on that tape?
You can find that amount in the amdump.X file: look for the line

 "INITIAL SCHEDULE (size xxxx)"

What is the size Amanda's planner is starting with?
And then some further a line like:

 "DELAYING DUMPS IF NEEDED,  total_size xxx, tape length yyy mark z"

Is the tape length the one you're expecting?

Or maybe you defined the tapetype fpr LTO3, but are using another
tapetype in the amanda.conf?

I'm pretty sure I'm using hardware compression. The device is a exabyte
magnum 224. Also how would I specify Amanda to use tape spanning?

For LTO tapes, mixing hardware compression with software compression
does not harm.  Irrelevant in this context.

thanks