Amanda-Users

Re: Open file backup?

2007-10-19 15:00:05
Subject: Re: Open file backup?
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:52:49 -0400

Greg Troxel wrote:
Amanda doesn't actually handle reading the files; it uses dump
(available on BSD and traditional unixes) and GNU tar (available pretty
much everywhere) to read files and make a dump stream.

I'm not sure if you're asking about a problem where some methods skip
files that are currently open, issues with getting an atomic snapshot,
or something more complicated about files that are being written.

I'm not sure about VSS, but fss is a term in NetBSD for taking snapshots
of filesystems so that dump and tar can get consistent views.  Other
UNIX-like systems have similar features.  I would expect that a feature
like this is available on Macs, and I don't know about windows.

Windows: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume_Shadow_Copy_Service

Also, see http://www.zmanda.com/amanda-enterprise-edition.html, for references to VSS and backing up open files in Windows.

The traditional Amanda backup of Windows clients using samba cannot do open files: http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Backup_client#Windows_client

Mac OS X -- I've searched a bit for an answer and don't have it yet. Perhaps someone else can jump in.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center