Amanda-Users

Re: AManda Virtual Tape Manager (amvtm)

2007-10-19 09:46:28
Subject: Re: AManda Virtual Tape Manager (amvtm)
From: Ronan Keryell <Ronan.Keryell AT enstb DOT org>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 15:38:17 +0200

    Dustin> On 9/28/07, Ronan Keryell <Ronan.Keryell AT enstb DOT org> wrote:
    >> I've written a small script to help us to use AMANDA on removable
    >> disks. It is in use for 6 months and is helpful, so it may be
    >> useful for someone else too. :-)

    Dustin> We'd love to have a link to this on the wiki
    Dustin> (http://wiki.zmanda.com).

Of course you can.

    Dustin>   It looks fairly Linux- and purpose-specific, so I'm not sure
    Dustin> it's appropriate for inclusion in the codebase, but it could
    Dustin> certainly inspire others who are in similar situations.

Yes, it is Linux specific and tested on Debian.

But I've just found the right hardware to use it:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/19/the-sata-hdd-stage-rack-at-last/
:-)

Right know I need to change 3 screws every 8 days, so it could be
quicker with this rack... :-)

    Dustin> On a related note, since you're scripting around Amanda, I'd
    Dustin> be interested to hear your thoughts on the recent proposal on
    Dustin> amanda-hackers to move Amanda's core algorithms to a scripting
    Dustin> language.  See http://marc.info/?t=119162629200003&r=1&w=2

That is quite interesting, but far enough from my script above, that is
only used as a virtual tape management tool. Of course, with a SWIG
interface, I could easily peek into AMANDA config file without having to
write am AMANDA config parser or worse, hard-coding them in the bash
script (what is just done now :-) ). So I'm going to follow your SWIG action...

PS: I switched from Perl to Python few years ago after years of Perl
programming and teaching, when I discovered I was no longer able to read
code I had writtem before. :-)
--
  Ronan KERYELL                 |\/  Tel:    (+33|0) 2.29.00.14.15
  Département Informatique      |/)  Fax:    (+33|0) 2.29.00.12.82