Amanda-Users

Re: Restore scenarios, architecture plans?

2007-10-16 06:25:03
Subject: Re: Restore scenarios, architecture plans?
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen AT punkt DOT de>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 12:17:25 +0200
On 2007-10-16 10:20, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:

Unfortunately amrecover cannot run multiple instances in
parallel? That meant operator supervised restore, using
amtape to change vtapes, ... for a couple of hours.

When restoring a complete DLE, I prefer to use amrestore
instead.
If you have no "split" dumps (created with DLE having
a split_tape parameter set), amrestore is easy, and
you can indeed run multiple instances at once.

You loose the ability to change tapes automatically
(which amrecover *can* do -- see below), so you'll
need to run amrecover once for each backup level,
starting with level 0, up to the last incremental
level, sequentially.  But you can run many DLE's
at once, as long as you're not using the same
tape device.  (Note that chg-disk emulates a changer
with one tapedevice, while chg-multi emulates a
changer consisting of N tape devices, each acting
independently -- that is actually another advantage
of using chg-multi instead of chg-disk for vtapes!)

See:
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Restoring_files#Using_amrestore

Do not forget to run gnutar with the "-G" option when
restoring the incremental levels!

Currently I'm waiting for the nightly backup to finish so
I can restore another system that had lower priority,
since amrecover cannot run in parallel with amdump, either.

So how can I improve the situation? Would setting up
amrecover capability on the clients enable me to restore
multiple clients at the same time?

Even is chg-disk is easier to setup, I prefer the 'slightly
more complicated' chg-multi to set up vtapes, which allows
a greater variety in setup, e.g. it allows each vtape to
act indepently, so you can read the bytes of that vtape,
even amanda uses another vtape at the same time.

You can even set up a separate config, which is sharing
the common parts of the normal backup config (index,
vtape-structure etc, but having the stateful parts (like
notion of current tape etc.) private.
Then you can even use amrecover on that config in parallel
with the normal backup config.

Wishlist: multiple amrecover sessions, automatic selection
of appropriate vtape during restore. Are there any plans
in this direction? I know that with the increasing number
of people using disks for backup, some API changes for
the "tape" interface are on their way.

Selecting appropriate vtape during restore is already implemented
since 2.4.4, but you need to set these three parameters in
amanda.conf on the server:

 amrecover_do_fsf yes
 amrecover_check_label yes
 amrecover_changer "changer"

And then you run "amrecover config -d changer"
and let Amanda use the changer automatically
(or have the default tape device set correct at compile time
or change it in the amanda-client.conf file).

See;
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Restore_from_Virtual_Tapes

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *