Amanda-Users

Re: RE exclusions

2007-10-11 06:40:50
Subject: Re: RE exclusions
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Johan Booysen <johan AT matrix-data.co DOT uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 12:33:56 +0200
On 2007-10-11 12:03, Johan Booysen wrote:
When I say differential I mean a backup that contains everything since
the last full backup.  Incremental for me means a backup that contains
the changed files since the last backup, whether the last one was a full
backup or not.

If your "incremental level 1" backup is actually the same as my
"differential backup", then I've completely misunderstood that whole
issue until now.

Level 0 == full backup
Level 1 == all changed since the last level 0 == differential backup
level 2 == all changed since last level 1 (you are trying to avoid
  the levels >= 2, or did I miss something?)

:0|

Ok, so say I want to do 1 full backup each week (Monday - Friday) and
differentials (everything changed since the last full backup) in
between, what would you suggest for these in amanda.conf?

bumpsize
bumpdays
Bumpmult

  bumpdays 99999

is enough.  Now Amanda waits about 273 years before considering a
level 2 incremental backup.

Or does it not quite work that way?

I don't really understand what bumpdays, bumppercent and bumpmult do
and/or how they do it.  My apologies but I must be dim or something -
tried to read up before sending this reply this but still lost
(http://www.amanda.org/docs/amanda.conf.5.html).

A coffee helps, and reading it three times again...

Maybe you miss one point: Amanda first runs an estimate for different
levels of backup.  When a level 0 backup is not due, Aanda runs an
estimate for level N (the level that was run the last time),
and, if bumpdays have passed since the last bump in levels, she also
runs an estimate for level N+1.  When the estimates are done, Amanda
picks a "good" level.

Settings "bumpdays 99999" accomplished what you need, I believe.
(It is better than "bumppercent 100", which would maybe run an estimate
for level N+1, which will later be decided as not to be "good" -- too
much waste of time + machine load).

Thanks.