Amanda-Users

Re: RE exclusions

2007-10-11 05:16:13
Subject: Re: RE exclusions
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 11:07:11 +0200
On 2007-10-11 10:35, Johan Booysen wrote:
Thanks fo your reply.
My understanding (as far as that goes) has always been that amanda can only do full and incremental backups?

?? "...only..." ??  What other kind of backup are you hinting at?
If you mean a "http://www.backup4all.com/differential-backup.php";,
then that's just an incremental level 1, which you can configure
by setting e.g. "bumppercent 100", or by setting "bumpdays 99999"
(the latter one assumes you do run at least one other full backup
within the next 273 years :-) ).

I've been doing full backups because until now we've had the capacity to do that. If I switch to the way amanda should really work, then does that not mean that I'll get full and incremental backups, which will make the restore process more cumbersome in terms of the number of tapes needed for a restore?

Yes, but not so complicated that a restore becomes an gigantic task.
Moreover, then chance to need to restore a recently modified file is
much larger than files that are never changed.  And in that case
restore from an incremental is much faster.

How else would you like to solve the problem of "too much data to fit
on a tape"?  (besides removing the "dead files".)

I'm still using amanda 2.4.4. Will appreciate your advice on this.