Amanda-Users

Re: amanda in domU

2007-10-10 13:31:44
Subject: Re: amanda in domU
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: jwilson AT transolutions DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:25:37 -0400

James Wilson wrote:
I was wondering if amanda could run in a xen instance. And if so does the dom0 automatically pass the tape scsi adapter to the xen instance? Also if I move amanda to this xen instance will it be able to open my old tapes? Any help is appreciated.

If you can handle setting up the xen domU in your xen dom0 and get the tape device to connect from there using basic tape utilities, then there should be no problem with Amanda. Make sure the entire Amanda home directory is moved over, including the configuration directory with the indexes and tapelist and everything else.

So, there are really two separate issues here.

First is getting the xen domU to behave like a normally installed system with access to the devices that you need to use. Use typical low level utilities like mt to confirm the setup. If you have trouble with that, people here will certainly try to help, but you may find more focused help somewhere that specializes in Xen.

The other issue is Amanda. Once you have the first issue resolved, this becomes more straightforward. Specific issues you have can be addressed as they come up. Amanda cares about the tape labels, and checks those against its configuration and its records of tape usage. Should work.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center