Amanda-Users

Re: backup to disk

2007-10-02 08:37:33
Subject: Re: backup to disk
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Ingo Freund <amandalist AT e-dict DOT net>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 14:40:04 +0200
On 2007-10-02 13:47, Ingo Freund wrote:
On 02.10.2007 12:49, Paul Bijnens wrote (please find the answer below the
original text):
- the wiki says the vtape-partitions should not
  be in a amanda backup-to-tape setup - why?
Because you would make a backup of the backup that was being
written, possibly filling an infinite amount of diskspace.
Or what do you expect?
Note that the word "partition" is not really correct here.
Only the "subtree" needs to be eliminated.

I don't expect amanda filling infinite diskspace, why should it
do so?

while writing bytes to at the end of the backup image on disk of the
vtape-tree, and starts with backing up that same file, you're
effectively feeding the output to the input again.  And it will
only stop when the vtape is full (the amount specified in the
config file), resulting in a failed backup.  You would need to
increase the vtape size to infinite to get it all backed up.

If not making "backups to tape" of the "backups to disk", what would
be the amanda solution of a "backup-to-disk-to-tape"?

you can of course make a backup of the vtapes with *another* config
that writes to tapes instead of disk.
And a nice backup to disk-and-tape-at-the-same-time, is using RAIT:

  http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Rait

For a *handy* disk-to-disk-to-tape, we need to wait a little more.
Development is on the way.
Putting the backup-images from vtape-on-disk to tape, makes restores
difficult:  first you would need to restore from tape to disk, and
make sure that you also have the corresponding indexes online again
if you want to use amrecover (without indexes, amrestore is the only
reasonable option).  Possibly restore those vtapes to another place
to avoid overwriting the current set of vtapes.
Then you have to restore from those restored vtapes.  Good luck in
quickly modifying the amanda config to point to the temporary
restored vtapes with angry users asking when the files will be
restored.  And after waiting all the time for the tape-restore,
you need again read now from a vtape (usually faster, but not always).
Development is being done to manipulate the backupimages and e.g.
copy only the level 0 backups from one config (e.g. vtape) to a new
config (e.g. real tape), together with the needed index files etc.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *