Amanda-Users

Re: backup to disk

2007-10-02 07:46:37
Subject: Re: backup to disk
From: Ingo Freund <amandalist AT e-dict DOT net>
To: amanda list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 13:47:48 +0200
On 02.10.2007 12:49, Paul Bijnens wrote (please find the answer below the
original text):
> On 2007-10-02 12:34, Ingo Freund wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I have some questions about a backup to disk setup:
>>
>> - is a holding disk really needed?
>
> Usually, yes.  To allow parallelism.
>
> http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/FAQ:Should_I_use_a_holdingdisk_when_the_final_destination_of_the_backup_is_a_virtual_tape%3F

ok, understood. That makes sense.

>> - the wiki says the vtape-partitions should not
>>   be in a amanda backup-to-tape setup - why?
>
> Because you would make a backup of the backup that was being
> written, possibly filling an infinite amount of diskspace.
> Or what do you expect?
> Note that the word "partition" is not really correct here.
> Only the "subtree" needs to be eliminated.

I don't expect amanda filling infinite diskspace, why should it
do so?
If not making "backups to tape" of the "backups to disk", what would
be the amanda solution of a "backup-to-disk-to-tape"?

--
Bye - Ingo.