Amanda-Users

Re: [WAY OT] LTO Libraries

2007-09-18 15:40:06
Subject: Re: [WAY OT] LTO Libraries
From: Jean-Francois Malouin <Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
To: Nicholas Brockner <nbrockne AT hamilton DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:02:09 -0400
* Nicholas Brockner <nbrockne AT hamilton DOT edu> [20070918 14:04]:
> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone have experience with either the qualstar RLS-8236 or the
> Overland ArcVault 48 (both with LTO3 drives?).  Specifically I am
> looking for comments related to reliability of the hardware, although it
> may not hurt to know about amanda compatibility as well.

Not exacly what you have but afaic the ArcVault24 with 2 LTO-3 so far
so good. I can't comment on reliability as the 2 I have are 1+ month
old. Not sure if the AV48 loads the same way as the AV24 but that's
the only thing that concerns me a bit: the magasizes look a little
flimsy. I'm pretty sure that they would shatter if I had the malchance
of dropping them on the floor.

I had no problems configuring amanda (64bit compiled) using them as I
can drive the changer with mtx out-of-the-box. I tested different
blocksizes for the LTO-3s and I didn't find what others have reported
here that to get decent performance (>60MBs) you need to go towards
bigger default amanda blocksize (32K). I routinely get 65-70MBs from
the holddisk to the tapes with 32K. Very happy with that!

All this on a box running Debian/etch running 2.6.21.5-i686-64-smp,
8 core Xeon with lotsa ram (12GB!). The AV24 library is connected
to the host through a LSI U320 PCI-X scsi card. No virgens were
involved (knocking wood here...).

HTH,
jf

--