Amanda-Users

Re: dump level problems

2007-09-12 09:11:35
Subject: Re: dump level problems
From: "Mark Scheufele" <mark.scheufele AT diasemi DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:04:59 +0200
Hi,

>I note the "/dev/zvol" for three of the DLE.  Are you using zfs tools
to create slices/partitions and then >formating the space with a ufs
file system??  I ask because if they are really zfs file systems, I
don't
>think ufsdump will work properly.

I am using ufs filesystems on top of zfs volumes ( as  described here
http://blogs.sun.com/scottdickson/entry/fun_with_zvols_-_ufs ).
My intention is to use zfs snapshots within the DLE.

>I presume all these four DLE are mounted file systems.  If not, and
they are directory trees, be aware
>that ufsdump can not do incrementals on anything except full file
systems.

yes all are mounted filesystems

>You say "a runcycle of 5 days", but I'm sure you mean "runspercycle".
Be aware that parameter does not
>take a unit.  It is 5, not 5 days.

yes I mean "runspercycle"

>If you only have 4 DLE and a longer dumpcycle and runspercycle, you
should expect to have lots of
>promotion.  Amanda will be trying to balance the amount of data taped
each run.  The only way to achieve
>this balance is by moving around the level 0's.

As I understand it whether the level of backup is increased (bumped) or
not can be influenced by the bump parameters. These are the bump
parameters of my installation.

[amanda@nessie:/opt/amanda/etc]#amadmin Weekly bumpsize
Current bump parameters:
  bumppercent  20 %     - minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1 ->
2
  bumpdays     1        - minimum days at each level
  bumpmult     4        - threshold = disk_size * bumppercent *
bumpmult**(level-1)

      Bump -> To  Threshold
        1  ->  2    20.00 %
        2  ->  3    80.00 %
        3  ->  4   100.00 %
        4  ->  5   100.00 %
        5  ->  6   100.00 %
        6  ->  7   100.00 %
        7  ->  8   100.00 %
        8  ->  9   100.00 %

To get a better understanding it would be great if someone could answer
the following questions:

- bumppercent 20% means that if an higher backup level would save at
least 20% space the level will
  be bumped, right?

- does this also mean that if the first threshold is met amanda will
continue to calculate whether bumping
  another level would save 80% and if yes would another bump occur?

- in the dumptype I have specified that the estimate program is
calcsize. Does amanda use that
  program to calculate the savings that would be achieved by
incrementing the backup level?

- if the savings that could be reached by bumping are below the
bumppercent value no bumping will occur,
  or? Would this mean that for a certain filesystem amanda would only
carry out level 0 and level 1 dumps
  all the time if the savings that would be acccomplished by bumping to
another level would always be below
  20%?

- if defined bumppercent takes precedence over bumpsize?

>If this is close to your final configuration, you may wish to consider
an administrator-determined
>schedule rather than letting amanda do the scheduling.  Review in past
discussions about setting your
>dumptypes to incremental only and forcing the level 0's on days you
choose.

Would the following procedure be correct to manually schedule the
different backup levels.

- specify strategy "incronly" in the dumptype that is used

- as I am having 5 filesystem for which I would like to balance the
fullbackups over five weekdays I would
  setup the following crontab.

0 9 * * 1-5 /opt/amanda/sbin/amcheck -a Weekly
0 19 * * 1-5 /opt/amanda/sbin/amdump Weekly
0 18 * * 1 /opt/amanda/sbin/amadmin force nessie /cad
0 18 * * 2 /opt/amanda/sbin/amadin force nessie /projects
0 18 * * 3 /opt/amanda/sbin/amadin force nessie /users
0 18 * * 4 /opt/amanda/sbin/amadin force nessie /it
0 18 * * 5 /opt/amanda/sbin/amadin force nessie /design

- it seems to be possible to specify device names directly within the
disklist like /dev/rdsk/..., is it
  also possible to specify device names when using the amadmin command?

Many thanks in advance for answering my questions.

BR,

mark
Dialog Semiconductor GmbH
Neue Str. 95
D-73230 Kirchheim
Managing Director: Dr. Jalal Bagherli
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Gregorio Reyes
Commercial register: Amtsgericht Stuttgart: HRB 231181
UST-ID-Nr. DE 811121668

Legal Disclaimer: This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) is
confidential and
contains proprietary information, some or all of which may be legally
privileged. It is
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. Access
to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended
recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in
reliance
on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.