Amanda-Users

Re: trying to reuse a disktape many times in one day

2007-09-11 14:25:26
Subject: Re: trying to reuse a disktape many times in one day
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 14:25:10 -0400
On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 10:39:10AM -0700, johns AT msli DOT com wrote:
> I am trying to test Amanda before installing a tape drive, therefore I
> am using the tapetype HARD-DISK.
>
> Since the backup will be about 1TB in size, I created a partition of
> this size ( /amandatapes ).
>
> I don't have the resources to create more than one tape of this size, so
> I have to reuse the tape multiple times in one day, during the testing
> phase.
>
> The problem is, I need to run multiple test runs in a single day (to
> debug the errors for each disklist item), but amanda won't reuse my
> single tape until the next calender day.
>
> I thought I read about this, but after all the reading, I can't seem to
> find it again.
>
> Do I delete and recreate the tape?

For testing, assuming you don't plan on examining the tape contents,
this is the way I'd go.  For some of my early testing (years ago) I
used a shell script that recreated the entire config for each test
including the tapelist file after labeling but prior to usage.

BTW how many 1TB test dumps can you do in a day?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)