Amanda-Users

iscsi information request

2007-09-06 14:45:30
Subject: iscsi information request
From: Jerry Stretch <jstretch AT industrytelco DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 13:23:09 -0500
Hello all -

I've been using Amanda for about 4 years now, and it has performed well backing up my multiple Unix servers.

I'm beginning to be concerned about my old faithful tape drive, though and have begun looking at other solutions.

I've found a SAN device that would do both virtual tape libraries in various formats as well as tape output. Any device that's "iscsi aware" can see this unit on the network and move data to either the tape library or an actual tape. It would really be neat if Amanda could write to the virtual disk and the tape.

My problem is the "iscsi aware" factor. As I understand this, Free BSD's iscusi driver or interface is still in the development or beta stage.

Has anyone out there had any experience with this type of device? Or with iscsi on any O/S?

I'd want to stick with Amanda for all the main features it provides if at all possible. Combining Amanda with this type of backup server seems to have a lot of advantages. But only if it works.

I'm looking for opinions... comments... suggestions... and caveats... before I jump into something.

Thanks for your time.

Jerry Stretch