Amanda-Users

Re: *** Tapeless Backup (Optimization) ***

2007-09-05 08:47:55
Subject: Re: *** Tapeless Backup (Optimization) ***
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 08:50:22 -0400
On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 10:07:18AM -0000, rwk AT americom DOT com wrote:
> I have been doing tapeless backups for some time now (using tapedev
> file:/...) and my backups have now gotten big enough that the following
> is an issue:
>
> First, to achieve parallel dumps, I use a holdingdisk.  This however
> causes dumps to first be stored in the holdingdisk, then they are copied
> to "tape", which in my case is a disk file.  With terrabytes of data
> this now takes a long time (i.e., the "copy" phase).
>
> I wish:
>
> 1. There was a way to force PARALLEL backups directly to "virtual" tape.

I suspect the correct reply to this would be "wait for the application
and device APIs to be completed".

> OR
>
> 2. If the holdingdisk and the virtual tape files are on the same
>    filesystem, that amanda would just "mv" the holdingdisk copy to
>    "tape" rather than copying it.

Unfortunately, the tape and holding disk images are different formats
so that a simple move would not suffice.

Both are good "wishlist" items though.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)