Amanda-Users

Re: Backup all drives on server

2007-06-22 04:07:21
Subject: Re: Backup all drives on server
From: Marc Muehlfeld <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, amanda-hackers AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 09:55:24 +0200
Hi,

There's no such option.  One possible solution, though, is to
automatically generate your disklist based on manipulating the output of
'df' or 'mount' or the like.

I miss such a function too. I allready had the case that a new filesystem was added to a client, and the one who did, forgot to tell me. So it wasn`t backuped for some time, what could have been end in a terrible problem. But it was luck that I don`t had to do restores from that filesystem.

You could even use such manipulations to *check for* newly-added
filesystems, and send an email (rather than adding them directly).

Maybe this could be a usefull feature for amanda. I think there could be a configuration option inside the servers amanda.conf (check_new_disks=yes/no for all clients) and also in amanda-client.conf on the client-side.

This option could compare the mounted disks with the entries out of the disklist. Later the daily report could have some lines on the end, where all that new drives are shown.

Also in this nexus amcheck could have a additional option that does this job on all clients.

Then this could be a usefull option for everyone. You can check every run on all clients via server-config, run it on special clients via client-config. And for everybody who doesn`t like that both ways, can run manually.

What do you all think about it? I just cross-post this to amanda-hackers, too.

Regards
Marc

--
Marc Muehlfeld (Leitung Systemadministration)
Zentrum fuer Humangenetik und Laboratoriumsmedizin Dr. Klein und Dr. Rost