Amanda-Users

Re: I'm lost

2007-06-21 15:17:47
Subject: Re: I'm lost
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:57:03 -0400
On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 01:06:36PM -0500, Paul Crittenden wrote:
> I have set up amanda-2.5.2p1 on Solaris 9, with it being the server and
> client. I have run amcheck with no errors. I can label tapes but when I
> run an amdump It fails. Here is the email I get.
>
> FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:

> /--  maple.simpson.edu /export/home/pdc lev 0 FAILED [port open: Network
> is unreachable]

> Since this is the same machine why does it care about the network?
> Obviously I don't understand something.

To do things the way you expect in a client/server application, there
would have to be special case code for when the "client" also happened
to be the server.

The network stack recognizes the destination is local and the packets
never make it to the network outside the machine.

Lots of benefits result from this arrangement.  While preparing to move
to virtual tapes from physical tapes I moved the amanda services to a
different host and moved the tape drive there as well.  The old server
continued to be backed up without skipping a beat.  It was alway being
backed up as a client, just now the server was remote.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)