Amanda-Users

Re: I'm lost

2007-06-21 15:09:18
Subject: Re: I'm lost
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: Paul Crittenden <paul.crittenden AT simpson DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:04:59 -0400
Think about the configuration as having network -- it's just that the
machine you are connecting to is the local machine. You have to
configure your setup for that just like you would if it were across the
wire.

Also, in general, be sure to check your logs. Not only the amanda logs
in /tmp/amanda/, but the logs in /var/adm/. I've figured out some pretty
odd-ball stuff by looking through logs. For example, /var/adm/authlog
showed me that one client I had configured and addressed via one subnet
was coming back at me with a name based on it's presence in another
subnet that it was multihomed on. Changing my .amandahosts fixed that,
although I ought to go back and see why the client did what it did. I
also saw an instance where an error was reported with an IPv6 address,
but I had not installed or configured IPv6. I think when Solaris failed
on the connection, it was trying alternatives and reported the last
thing it tried, but that could just be my imagination running wild.
Anyway, it was another minor configuration error discovered by reading
log files.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator