Amanda-Users

2.5.2p1 make install oddity

2007-06-20 18:47:15
Subject: 2.5.2p1 make install oddity
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 17:42:49 -0500
While building 2.5.2p1 to upgrade a 2.4.5 version, I ran across an
oddity running 'make install'.  I had built both versions with the
'--with suffixes' option.  Evidently that option doesn't work on
the static libraries that are built, as it just creates the .a files
without a suffix and the install happily overwrites the previous
versions of the libraries with a new one.
  Also, the .so files are created with the version suffix, but the
install creates symlinks pointing to the new version, which seems wrong
since the executables are not automatically symlinked when installed,
causing a seemingly broken installation by default, as the old .a
libraries are no longer there to support the old version.
  Or have I missed something?

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673