Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda crashes if /tmp/amanda is full

2007-06-13 10:34:25
Subject: Re: Amanda crashes if /tmp/amanda is full
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:30:58 -0500
On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 09:56:21AM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> Does amanda use /tmp for anything other than writing the debug files?
>
> I ask because it seems to me that the backups themselves may be more
> important than the debug files it can not write.
>
> Rather than controlled clean-up and terminate, perhaps a flag in
> the debug message writing routines (are they self-contained as a
> library function) could be used to stop write attempts and let the
> backups proceed without debug files.

Lots of things use /tmp, unfortunately including the external
applications that Amanda runs.  For example, it may not be possible to
send mail in that circumstance.

That said, the 'debug_printf' function (common-src/debug.c:67) is
responsible for debug output.  It calls through to fpritnf and vfprintf,
but doesn't check the error return from either of those.  So when /tmp
fills up, Amanda will simply stop writing debug messages as you've
described.

If someone would like to do some additional investigation and suggest a
fix or even submit a patch, that would be great!

Dustin

--
        Dustin J. Mitchell
        Storage Software Engineer, Zmanda, Inc.