Amanda-Users

Re: tapetype problem

2007-05-30 04:11:41
Subject: Re: tapetype problem
From: Franz Fischer <amanda AT franz-fischer DOT de>
To: abrantes <abrantes.filho AT hospitalsantamonica DOT org>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 09:35:41 +0200 (CEST)
abrantes's Mail:

> The tape drive is OK. Some tests:
>
> [... deleted ...]
>
> # amtapetype -o -b 10240 -e 40g -f /dev/nst0 -t
> "DELL_POWERVAULT_110T_DLT_VS_80"
> Estimate phase 1...amtapetype: could not write any data in this pass:
> Success
I had a similar problem with with a DDS3 tape drive (HP-C1537A) connected to
my alpha running (at that time) DU 4.0d.  It seemed to me that the drive /
driver returns immediately after a rewind operation, but a following write
on the same (kept-open) filedescriptor returns unsuccessfully if the rewind
did not complete yet.  Amtapetype exactly does this.

The situation was not reproducible in my setup by a sequence of shell
commands (like ``mt rewind; tar -c ...''), as each shell command is an own
process and opens its own filedescriptor for accessing the tape.

For me, the attached patch fixed the problem.

Bye
        \franz