Amanda-Users

Re: Amflush Slow in 2.5.2

2007-05-23 16:46:05
Subject: Re: Amflush Slow in 2.5.2
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Steven Backus <backus AT whimsy.med.utah DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 16:39:21 -0400
Both 2.5.1p3 and 2.5.2 have wrwait close the the time use (sec) which is the good behavior.
Nothing changed between 2.5.1p3 and 2.5.2 in this area of amanda.
I suggest you check system log message and monitor the server during the next time you write on tape.

Jean-Louis

Steven Backus wrote:
The tape usage is normal, amanda always put the dump in datestamp order to the tape, it tried a big DLE on tape genepi042, it didn't fit and retried it on next tape. It's the normal behavior.

Indeed, although I've never seen it blow off 40% of a tape before,
but maybe this is a worst case scenario.

For the performance issue, amanda is waiting in write system call to the tape drive (wrwait is large).
Maybe the system is overloaded, scsi problem, ....

Nothing's changed on the system between 2.5.1p3 and 2.5.2 except
the new version of amanda.  I guess it's possible there was a
hardware failure at the same time but that's too co-incidental.
Here's a log from 2.5.1p3 and we see shorter wrwait times, is there
a chance something new in 2.5.2 caused these?