Amanda-Users

Re: Tape Retention?

2007-05-21 20:40:46
Subject: Re: Tape Retention?
From: Ian Turner <ian AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 20:05:22 -0400
On Monday 21 May 2007 13:54, Chris Hoogendyk wrote:
> Jordan Desroches wrote:
> > I'm trying to figure out how to set backup retention, and was
> > wondering if it was as simple as making sure the number of tapes a
> > configuration has to use allows it to cycle through N times, or if
> > there is an actual "set retention" command I haven't found?
>
> It's in the relationships among (taking from my configuration):
>
>      dumpcycle 1 weeks       # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
>      runspercycle 5          # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
>      tapecycle 30 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation

Actually, dumpcycle and runspercycle don't affect the retention policy; they
only affect the choices Amanda makes about what levels to dump at.

The gory details of Amanda's retention policy can be found here:
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Taper_scan_algorithm

Cheers,

--Ian
--
Zmanda: Open Source Backup and Recovery.
        http://www.zmanda.com