Amanda-Users

Re: Tape Retention?

2007-05-21 14:21:12
Subject: Re: Tape Retention?
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: Jordan Desroches <jordan.d.desroches AT Dartmouth DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 13:54:00 -0400

Jordan Desroches wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to set backup retention, and was
> wondering if it was as simple as making sure the number of tapes a
> configuration has to use allows it to cycle through N times, or if
> there is an actual "set retention" command I haven't found?

It's in the relationships among (taking from my configuration):

     dumpcycle 1 weeks       # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
     runspercycle 5          # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
     tapecycle 30 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation

this says that I'm going to run 5 times a week, and I have a cycle of 30
tapes. When it gets to the end of 30 tapes, it will ask for the first
one again. Or, if you have more, it will take any unused, labeled tape,
or any that is 30 or more runs previous.

I have 35 tapes. But I've set 5 of them to "no-reuse", so they are a
sort of archive. I cycle through the other 30.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center