Amanda-Users

Re: TLS-4440 and 2.5.X issues?

2007-05-03 15:49:10
Subject: Re: TLS-4440 and 2.5.X issues?
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: "Donofrio, Lewis" <donofrio AT umich DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 15:47:18 -0400

Donofrio, Lewis wrote:
> Ok here's one for you, this tape subsystem used to do duty as an sol 8.2 afs
> backup system.  I only bring this up because the tapes I'll be reusing are
> already labeled (barcode and eeprom id's) from previous backup system.  What
> I'm wondering is will I be able to install Amanda-server and it would find
> and reuse these tape investments?

I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

I'm guessing you want to re-use the tapes, but the data backed up on
them is to be overwritten.

I see no difficulty with that. Amanda will see the tapes as not being
amanda tapes (if indeed they are not), and you can use amlabel to put
amanda label files on them. The library should read the barcodes; and,
if mtx and chg-zd-mtx are configured correctly, then changer-barcodes
should record the mapping of barcodes to amanda tape labels. The AIT
drive itself should manage the contents of the eeprom and its
relationship to the files on the tapes.

Does that mesh with your question and understanding? Were you ever able
to see or set anything on the eeprom label?

If what you mean is that the tapes were used in another amanda
installation, and you want to retain the data backed up on them, then it
becomes more complicated. I'm not sure how best to approach that; and,
if that's not what you want, there's no point getting into it here. If
it is, then you'll have to provide more detail, and someone else is
going to have to jump in and help out.

I put this back on list in case anyone there has anything to contribute.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center