Amanda-Users

Re: TAPE-ERROR 00-00001 "[writing file: File too large]

2007-05-03 00:19:03
Subject: Re: TAPE-ERROR 00-00001 "[writing file: File too large]
From: Olivier Nicole <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th>
To: igorr AT canmos DOT ru
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 11:13:47 +0700 (ICT)
> I just tried to find some ways how to let the Amanda (taper phase of
> backup process) to create files avoiding Large Files Problem (LFP). For
> example, i can do it using the following command under FreeBSD-4.x:
>
> ssh MyHost dump -0 -u -a -f /MyBigBigBigSlice > MyHost.MyBigBigBigSlice.0.dump
>
> The same way is used in Amanda but in dumper phase only. But when taper is

Got it now.

I defined small chuncks on the holding disks, typically 1GB, because I
think that if the dumper meets a disk full, there will be less issue
on a small chunk than on a big one (less data lost and dump to be
restarted).

So I assumed that your virtual tapes were always MUCH bigger than your
holding disk chunks, so holding disk would never hit LFP.

Olivier