Amanda-Users

Re: Using FreeBSD snapshots during backups

2007-04-18 09:23:58
Subject: Re: Using FreeBSD snapshots during backups
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:16:48 -0400
On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 12:16:46AM -0600, Chris Kottaridis wrote:
> Thanks I'll check into it.
>
> I assume there is no way to pass dump options in via the dumptype to get
> different options for different partitions. Like it's recommended that
> if you use -L you should use -C which takes a size parameter that you
> may want to be different for different partitions or hosts.

No there isn't a way to specify the parameters in the config.

One work-around is to modify the dump command line with a wrapper script.
When you recompile amanda specify to configure that dump is in a location
of your choice (I think the --with-dump= option).  I use /usr/local/libexec
directory where things like runtar, sendsize, ... are located.  Give the
script a name of your choice ?chriskot-dump?  For initial work and testing
it can contain something as simple as:

        exec <path-to-real-dump> "$@"

Later you can look at the debug files for rundump and see the exact
command line(s) that amanda calls dump (or chriskog-dump) with.  Then
you can add script lines to detect the partition argument and add/modify
and appropriate argument for the -C option.

> I'll take a look at the dumper.c file and try and get the -L option
> enabled on the FreeBSD hosts.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)