Amanda-Users

Re: Recovery problems

2007-04-11 00:53:54
Subject: Re: Recovery problems
From: Charles Sprickman <spork AT bway DOT net>
To: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 00:37:36 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:

Use 'settape' command to set the tape drive you want to use.

Wow. Thanks so much, I guess this comes from the change to having an "amanda-client.conf" file (which in my case had no tape device defined). With the old version it seemed to just default to /dev/nsa0.

Works great now, I've pulled a few test restores and diffed things and it looks right.

Thanks again,

Charles PEBKAC

Charles Sprickman wrote:
Hi all,

I'm about to give up on 2.5, this is the latest error.

Since amanda has been acting so odd, I thought I'd try some recovery to see what happens. My results leave me with little confidence that stuff is actually getting to tape properly:

[devel2]/spool2/tmp_amanda # amrecover
AMRECOVER Version 2.5.1p3. Contacting server on backups01 ...
220 devel2 AMANDA index server (2.5.1p3) ready.
Setting restore date to today (2007-04-09)
200 Working date set to 2007-04-09.
200 Config set to DailySet1.
200 Dump host set to devel2.biglist.com.
Use the setdisk command to choose dump disk to recover
amrecover> setdisk /var/db
200 Disk set to /var/db.
amrecover> ls
2007-04-09-03-10-00 ports/
2007-04-09-03-10-00 pkg/
2007-04-09-03-10-00 pgsql.old/
2007-04-09-03-10-00 pgsql.20020208/
2007-04-09-03-10-00 mysql/
2007-04-09-03-10-00 locate.database
2007-04-09-03-10-00 ipf/
2007-04-09-03-10-00 clamav/
2007-04-09-03-10-00 amanda/
2007-04-09-03-10-00 amanda-archive/
2007-04-09-03-10-00 .
2007-03-29 statd.status
2007-03-29 port.mkversion
2007-03-29 pgsql
2007-03-29 mountdtab
amrecover> cd mysql
/var/db/mysql
amrecover> ls
2007-04-09-03-10-00 toby/
2007-04-09-03-10-00 test/
2007-04-09-03-10-00 rt2/
2007-04-09-03-10-00 mysql/
2007-04-09-03-10-00 allen_nuke/
2007-04-09-03-10-00 allen/
2007-04-09-03-10-00 .
2007-03-29 my.cnf
2007-03-29 devel2.pid
2007-03-29 devel2.err
amrecover> add allen
Added dir /mysql/allen/ at date 2007-03-29
Added dir /mysql/allen/ at date 2007-04-09-03-10-00
amrecover> extract

Extracting files using tape drive  on host backups01.
The following tapes are needed: DAILY17
                                DAILY22

Restoring files into directory /spool2/tmp_amanda
Continue [?/Y/n]? Y

Extracting files using tape drive  on host backups01.
Load tape DAILY17 now
Continue [?/Y/n/s/t]? Y
-->> could not stat '': No such file or directory
Load tape DAILY17 now
Continue [?/Y/n/t]? Y
-->> amrecover: short block 0 bytes
-->> UNKNOWN file
-->> amrecover: Can't read file header
Extractor child exited with status 1
Extracting files using tape drive  on host backups01.
Load tape DAILY22 now
Continue [?/Y/n/s/t]? n
amrecover> quit
200 Good bye.