Amanda-Users

Re: Loading tape during amrecover

2007-04-05 12:12:54
Subject: Re: Loading tape during amrecover
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "Lee, Raymond" <Raymond.Lee AT qwest DOT com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 18:05:38 +0200
On 2007-04-05 17:06, Lee, Raymond wrote:
> Nevermind, I just RTFM'd :)
>
> From amanda.org:
>
> amrestore and amrecover do not yet include any tape changer support
> directly, as amrestore knows nothing about the amanda.conf files or
> server-side databases. This is a deliberate decision to keep amrestore
> independent, so it can be run from any host with a tape drive, even if
> the original tape server host is down. To use amrestore in a
> tape-changer environment, use amtape to find the right tape, then run
> amrestore giving the resulting tape device name.

That doc is a bit dated...  There is also in amanda.conf:

 amrecover_changer string
    Default: "". Amrecover will use the changer if you use 'settape
    <string>' and that string is the same as the amrecover_changer
    setting.

So, in plain english, this means: invent a string (I use "changer")
that you give a to amrecover when it asks for the tapedev, and the
server (which does have access to the config file!) will interpret
it to use the changer that is configured in amanda.conf, instead of
a simple tapedev.

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Restoring_files#Using_amrecover

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *