Amanda-Users

RE: SDLT-4 compareded to LTO-3

2007-04-04 23:25:43
Subject: RE: SDLT-4 compareded to LTO-3
From: "Dmitri Joukovski" <dj AT zmanda DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 18:29:40 -0700
Hi there,

You should consider that DLT technology does not have a future. The CEO of
Quantum Rick Belluzzo said in an interview with www.theregister.com that DLT
would "slide out of the way" and "there has been massive consolidation onto
LTO". The phase out of DLT technology will occur as quickly as in two years.

The Wikipedia page on DLT claims that the decision to end development was
taken in February.

The end of DLT technology is important news. Just recently we conducted
survey of Amanda users
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Results_of_Amanda_Users_Survey_2006
and almost 30% reported using DLT or SDLT tape drives. For regulatory
compliance many organizations are required to keep tapes for 7-10 years or
even longer. With Quantum dropping support for DLT, recovering all those DLT
and SDLT tapes 10 years from now could be a challenge.

Regards
Dmitri Joukovski