Amanda-Users

Re: Delaying tape flush ?

2007-03-30 17:38:49
Subject: Re: Delaying tape flush ?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:06:28 -0400
On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 03:15:38PM -0400, Guy Dallaire wrote:

> Of course, I could remove the tape from the drive, and in the morning
> manually run amflush, but it's not very very convenient or elegant and it
> will monopolize the tape for a couple of hours in case I need to restore
> something in an emergency it will be a mess.

With cronjobs, or as part of the amdump cronjob, could you do some
pre-amdump and post-amdump activity.  For example, if you install
or modify amanda.conf to have a non-existant device as tapedev,
that would be the equivalent of not inserting a tape.  Then after
amdump, you could install/modify amdanda.conf with the correct
tapedev and do the amflush.  (or a check for total amount of data
in the holding disk to determine if you want to amflush yet)

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)