Amanda-Users

Re: Delaying tape flush ?

2007-03-30 16:08:29
Subject: Re: Delaying tape flush ?
From: Steven Kurylo <steven.kurylo AT aviawest DOT com>
To: Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:55:56 -0700
What are my options ? We can't afford to buy a beefy server just to do backups. We are uning a centos beige commodity box. Even then, the server seems to be I/O bound. What could I do anyway ? Buy a faster disk subsystem ? What kind of subsystem ?

Well, first off is that extra 4mb/s really going to make a difference to you?

Next, is it really the I/O causing the bottle next? Install the sysstat package and make sure its collecting data. Then tomorrow after the backups you can see if you really did spend a lot of time in iowait.

Finally, the cheapest option would be to add another sata disk, and do raid0 between the two disks for your holding space.