Amanda-Users

Multiple tars in parallel?

2007-03-29 17:47:52
Subject: Multiple tars in parallel?
From: "Lee, Raymond" <Raymond.Lee AT qwest DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:00:39 -0500
Hi,

I've just started using Amanda 2.5.1p3 on Solaris with GNU tar as my
choice of program.  Is it possible for the Amanda client to run multiple
tars in parallel to speed up the backup?  The client that I'm currently
testing with has 11 filesystems that need to backed up.  So in my
disklist file, I have something like this:

host.abc.com / {
        user-tar-span
        estimate calcsize
}

host.abc.com /export/home {
        user-tar-span
        estimate calcsize
}

host.abc.com /opt {
        user-tar-span
        estimate calcsize
}
.
.
.
host.abc.com /filesystem11 {
        user-tar-span
        estimate calcsize
}

When I run amdump on the Amanda server, the client tars up one
filesystem at a time.  I looked through many of the docs and man pages,
but I didn't see any parameter to specify parallel tars on the client.
Is it possible to do that?

Thanks,
Ray