Amanda-Users

File driver usage

2007-03-29 09:57:57
Subject: File driver usage
From: "Jurgen Pletinckx" <jurgen.pletinckx AT algonomics DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:48:37 +0200
Dear all,

In my continuing quest to master an inherited Amanda 2.4.2p install,
I tried playing around with the file driver, as detailed in
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/File_driver

Before messing around with chg-multi, I thought I would use a single
vtape device, specified using tapedev. I don't have ammt or amdd in
this setup, so I can't do the tests described in
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/File_driver#Simple_virtual_tapes

I can, however, run amcheck:
> amcheck algo_test
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /xlv1/amanda: 19219628 KB disk space available, using
8733868 KB
Holding disk /dumps/amanda: 2168196 KB disk space available, using
71044 KB
ERROR: file:/xlv1/amanda/algo_test/tape1: No such file or directory
       (expecting a new tape)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
NOTE: info dir /usr/local/amanda/algo_test/curinfo/sienna: does not
exist
NOTE: index dir /usr/local/amanda/algo_test/index/sienna: does not
exist
Server check took 0.006 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.027 seconds, 0 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.2p2)

Yes, dear, the file _does_ actually exist:

> ls -la /xlv1/amanda/algo_test/tape1
total 0
drwxrwxr-x    3 amanda   amanda        22 Mar 28 12:57 .
drwxrwxr-x    3 amanda   amanda        23 Mar 28 12:57 ..
drwxrwxr-x    2 amanda   amanda         9 Mar 28 12:57 data

So - could anyone hit me with a clue? I list my disklist and
(partial) amanda.conf below.

disklist:
sienna          hdc2            comp-user-tar

amanda.conf: (too much information, I'm sure)
org "algo_test"
mailto "amanda-admin"
dumpuser "amanda"
inparallel 4

netusage  600 Kbps
dumpcycle 3 weeks
runspercycle 16

tapecycle 4 tapes

bumpsize 20 Mb
bumpdays 1
bumpmult 4
etimeout 300
dtimeout 1800
ctimeout 30

tapebufs 20
runtapes 1              tapedev "file:/xlv1/amanda/algo_test/tape1"
tapetype HARD-DISK

# holding disks elided
infofile "/usr/local/amanda/algo_test/curinfo"
logdir   "/usr/local/amanda/algo_test"
indexdir "/usr/local/amanda/algo_test/index"
tapelist "/usr/local/amanda/algo_test/tapelist"

define tapetype HARD-DISK {
    comment "Dump onto hard disk"
    length 10240 mbytes         # specified in mbytes to get the exact
size of 10GB
}

define dumptype comp-user-tar {
    # actually built by inclusion from global -> root-tar -> user-tar
    index yes
    program "GNUTAR"
    exclude list "/usr/local/lib/amanda/exclude.gtar"
    priority medium
    compress client fast
}

--