Amanda-Users

large dumps - 2.4.2

2007-03-21 12:04:07
Subject: large dumps - 2.4.2
From: "Jurgen Pletinckx" <jurgen.pletinckx AT algonomics DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:27:56 +0100
I'm trying to revive an installation of amanda 2.4.2 which has
been left unattended for quite a while. I've flushed whatever
was in the holding disks to tape, cleaned up the remaining
cruft, and, very tentatively, started amdump.

Rather to my surprise, that seems to work. Several disks
from several hosts have been written to tape, and more are
waiting. I will verify what is actually on tape, but it sure
looks good.

Except for the following types of failures, that is:
deepskyblue:/dev/xlv/xlv1                0 [dumps too big, but cannot
incremental dump skip-incr disk]
deepskyblue:/dev/xlv/xlv2                0 [dump larger than tape, but
cannot incremental dump skip-incr disk]

Now, the current state of these disks is
Filesystem             Type  kbytes     use     avail  %use Mounted on
/dev/xlv/xlv2           xfs 71124192 57681676 13442516  82  /xlv2
/dev/xlv/xlv1           xfs 71124160 57826144 13298016  82  /xlv1

but they were larger at the time I started amdump. (Yes, I'm doing
a bit of spring-cleaning on the disks, while waiting for amdump to
continue). However, they were well under 65G. I would therefore expect

them to fit on the 70G tapes I'm using.

Is this a problem that will disappear after a few more amdump runs?
I.e., the planner just gets the other partitions out of the way first.

Or should I expect to have to alter the disklist, in order to split
the contents of these large disks over different dumps?

--
Jurgen Pletinckx
AlgoNomics NV