Amanda-Users

kernel vs amanda testing

2007-03-14 09:32:55
Subject: kernel vs amanda testing
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: AMANDA users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:21:03 -0400
Hi all;

I'm still testing kernels vs amanda, and I'd like some advice on how to
temporarily handle the data churn that 3 or 4 backup runs a day entails.
Particularly when tar goes berzackers and dumps 40GB into a 12GB vdisk,
and I clean out the /dumps dir before restarting the next test run on yet
another kernel I've just built.

Also, persuant to my GenesAmandaHelper scripts, does anyone know how to
differentiate the amdump return error of $?=2 when a maildir gets updated
while amdump is running, vs this is a real showstopper error?  The tar is
the FC6 distro's 1.15.1, which means it _could_ be the newest 1.16.? tar
in camo.

FWIW, kernel 2.6.20.3 would appear to be fine, and my next test will be
with Con Kovila's latest scheduler patch on that.  If any of you haven't
tried this patch, and are using you machine for normal desktop
activities, this patch is the cats meow or whatever phrase you might use
to compare it to bottled beer or sliced bread.  It gives you back your
desktop full time, seemingly without slowing the cpu hog's all that much.
Even skippy audio apps usually lose the skips.

Grep your lkml list archives for RDSL in the subject.

I think I'm in love.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?