Amanda-Users

Re: amdump performance problem

2007-03-07 12:10:57
Subject: Re: amdump performance problem
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Kenneth Berry <kberry AT microbeef DOT com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:02:25 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 at 9:58am, Kenneth Berry wrote

I have been working on a performance problem for about a month and I am
out of ideas.  I hope someone can help me.  What is happening is that
backups of large DLE that start very early seem to dump at a very slow
rate.  Where as dumps of DLE on the same host, physical drive, etc. that
start hours latter dump at an expected rate.  The amstatus snapshot
below was taken at 9:30:00.  The backups start at midnight and notice
that the dump rate for mbthome:/home/public is about 830K/sec.  But DLE
mbthome:/home_a_i which has been running for 21 mins. is at a dump rate
of about 9500K/sec.

What is the hardware and OS setup on this client? Please be very detailed. What about the server?

*snip*
mbtas00      /           0 2177990 816539  37.5   8:121659.0
1:0313057.1
*snip*

*Please* look into the columnspec parameter in your amanda.conf to make that line readable. It'd make things a lot easier.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering